Thursday, October 11, 2012

{Part 1} The Bridal Shower

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  Mine was filled with lots of laughter, food and family.  I am so thankful for them all, and the beautiful sunshine we have had too!

So up on the blog this week is {Part 1} of my Sister's wedding festivities...THE BRIDAL SHOWER

Stefan, my now brother(-in-law), proposed to my baby sister, spring 2011.  He is pretty romantic - placing the ring in the 5th (her lucky #) hole on the green, at a golf course in Whistler.  Kenny Chesney played in the background from the golf cart, but yet she didn't suspect a thing.

Obviously she said yes and even asked me to stand up with her on her special day!  Since they decided to have a destination wedding, it gave me plenty of time to dream up the perfect shower theme for her.  Fast forward to the fall of 2011, where we planned a "Sleeping Beauty" shower for my beautiful sister.  No, this did not come from left field...she loves Disney movies, especially the princesses, and has always called herself Princess Aurora, as Sleeping Beauty is her favourite.

To start the planning process I took to the web and looked to see if other people had used this theme for a party, as well as, watching the movie to gain some key ideas on which I should focus.

Here's is my inspiration board:


The main things I wanted to highlight wer the colour pink, roses (when she lived with the fairies, she was called Briar Rose), the crown (Princess Aurora's is a specific shape), and just the overall whimsical fairy tale feel.

So I got to crafting, first making a keepsake box for her (everyone at the shower would fill it with words of wisdom, memories and pictures).  With some special leaf paint and lots of bling she got her very own "fairytale" book.



Next came her crown, I found a template at Mother Duck Said "Let's Party!" Blog.  It sat on a pretty pillow awaiting the guest of honour, with also a special Sleeping Beauty Music Box, which I picked up that summer, while in Disneyland - inside, a hand written note from Princess Aurora herself!



The shower was an overall success.  We laughed, ate, cried and played name that Disney song - the shower even was a surprise until the moment Andrea arrived on the street.  It was a joint effort - my lovely aunt & cousins hosted, the bridesmaids & my mom helped with decor, and a friend made the beautiful rose cupcakes.  A special shout out & thanks to Mikaela and her mom, for allowing me to use some of the beautiful pom poms from Mikaela's wedding!  Saved me from some more crafting.








Do you like themed showers? If you could pick any theme for your shower, what would it be?

Leave me a comment & stay tuned for Part 2: INVITATIONS

No comments:

Post a Comment